The school is also classed and funded by the Local Authority (LA) as an Enhanced Resource Centre (ERC), offering 12 additional part-time places for children with a range of special needs and disabilities (SEN).
Children who attend the Enhanced Resource Centre access all the same opportunities as children who have a place in the mainstream nursery school. They learn through playing in the same areas, use the same resources and are included in the same special activities, e.g. Forest School, creative movement, singing and dancing, to name but a few!
However, in addition to this the children in the Enhanced Resource Centre also receive;
- Support from an SEN teaching assistant with a ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 (ratios in the main nursery school are 1:13). This is in the form of support during freeplay and group-time, as well as quiet 1:1 work (usually 3 times a week).
- A ‘My Support Plan’ which sets out their learning outcomes and includes contributions from the child, their parents/carers, the school, and professionals involved in working with the child.
- Help with their personal care and feeding needs.
- Regular visits from our Educational Psychologist, Specialist Early Years teacher for SEN and Speech Therapists who advise our staff about how to best meet the needs of the child.
- Regular review meetings with staff and the other professionals involved.
- Support from the school to request the statutory assessment process if necessary (Education, Health and Care plans).
- Access to our sensory room with a member of staff. A wonderful fun-filled experience!
- Alternative communication to meet the needs of each child
You can access the SEN Information report by ‘clicking here’.